11 replies to this topic

#1 jhogan1

jhogan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

I'm importing students registered using the Category feature and I'm getting "class uknown".

Jeff Hogan
Instructional Technologist

Nursing and Allied Health

Valencia College

Orlando, Florida 32811

2012 Aspen Prize Winner

#2 Mon

Mon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

Students are registered to activities not categories. The easiest way to import enrollment information is to use a file with only two columns: Student ID and CRN.
Mon Nasser
AccuTrack Manager
mon@accutrack.org
(888)249-7227
http://www.accutrack.org

#3 jhogan1

jhogan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:37 AM

That doesn't work either. When I went to the training we were told that students could be registered into Categories and that using the import tool they'd be registered into all activiities within that category.

I just redesigned our database with that information.

Now, it's not letting me register them into the category via import tool. I don't see "CRN" anywhere in Accutrack and I don't want to assume that our use of CRN is the same.

Jeff Hogan

Valencia College

Orlando, Florida 32811

2012 Aspen Prize Winner

#4 C.Y. Lee

C.Y. Lee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

Students are registered into Activities. You can have one Category. For example, Registered Classes. You can then have Math 101, Eng 101, Eco 101 as for your activities.

When importing student enrollment/registration, you should have something like the attached picture.

Thanks.

Attached Files

#5 cbasoz

cbasoz

<AccuTrack Support>

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

That doesn't work either. When I went to the training we were told that students could be registered into Categories and that using the import tool they'd be registered into all activiities within that category.

I just redesigned our database with that information.

Now, it's not letting me register them into the category via import tool. I don't see "CRN" anywhere in Accutrack and I don't want to assume that our use of CRN is the same.

Jeff,
There is a misunderstanding I think. Students could be imported with just the category provided that category is unique and enough to decide that it is the targeted item. In other words such a category should only have one activity.
For registration I suggest something like CY showed in the picture. The process for resolving activity and student for registration is a little bit complex and it is better to provide more information than less, so the process can resolve the references easier.
Cetin Basoz
Engineerica Senior Developer

#6 jhogan1

jhogan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

That is what I have. I have a category named "Virtual IV". That category has 3 activities.

I have another category named "Nursing 1". That category has 8 activities.

I was ecstatic to learn I didn't have to do a total of 11 imports for student registration. That I coudl just register them for the category and all of the activities in that category would follow.

That didn't happen. I wound up having to do an import for every single activity.

I really would like to see "Program of Study" to have some correlation to category/activities.

All of my Nursing 1 students have the same categories. So if in my Student Information import I choose "Nursing 1" as the program of study it would be really nice if AccuSQL could know that all students in that program of study be assigned to a specific category without further imports.

I know I know....dreamware. but, that's why they call it that.

Jeff Hogan

Valencia College

Orlando, Florida 32811

2012 Aspen Prize Winner

#7 Mon

Mon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

Jeff,

If all the students are registered to the same activities under "Nursing 1", you can mark the activity "Global". This will make it visible to all students without having to register them to it.

Also, it is rather easy to copy the registration data in Excel for each of the activities. You start by setting one up, copy it to a new Excel Sheet, and then do a Find/Replace to change the first activity name to the second. Repeat this 8 times and you'd have your registration import file ready.

Note that you don't need to do 9 separate imports for this. Rather, put all the data in a single file (e.g. if you use Excel as described above, copy the data from each of the 8 pages back into the first page and save that page as a CSV. This will create a single import file with all the registration data so you would only need one import.

Another possible way if the number of Nursing Students is small (i.e. under 1,000): Start by importing your nursing students into the system. Next create your 9 activities that all students are registered. Go to Setup -> Student Setup -> Registration. On the left side select the first activity and click the >> button to move all students to the "Selected" box. Click "Register" to register these students. When this is finished you will see a message box. Now select the second activity and repeat the above. And so on.
Mon Nasser
AccuTrack Manager
mon@accutrack.org
(888)249-7227

#8 jhogan1

jhogan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

I can't mark it Global because I have 6 different groups of students. Each group has a handful of skills.

When I do a registration import it only lets me line up one column for registration. The "Category" column does NOT register them for all activities within that category. I have to import activity by activity. 9 imports for Nursing 1, 8 for Nursing2, 6 for AVS etc etc.

I do have some activities that all students use and those I wait until the end and do a register all as you mention above. But, for all the individual tutoring skills (individual by program I mean).

I'm attaching a few screenshots.

1) My category and activity. Notice the category is "AVS" and it has 5 activities (labeled AVS.JPG)

2) Trying to import using the "category" option. The category is "AVS".

3) The "class unknown" results page.

So I have to do a single import per activity. I got the same results trying "ID" instead of category since all of the ID's are also "AVS".

I'd sure like to learn how I can do this in one import; but, since I can only do it one activity at a time I"m not sure how that's possible even with what you explained above. Even if I used some type of automated import I"d need multiple files with multiple imports since I can only line one column up with the activity at a time.

Attached Files

Jeff Hogan

Valencia College

Orlando, Florida 32811

2012 Aspen Prize Winner

#9 jhogan1

jhogan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

P.S. I did click on 'global' and the results were the same.

Jeff Hogan

Valencia College

Orlando, Florida 32811

2012 Aspen Prize Winner

#10 jhogan1

jhogan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

It looks like the 3rd attached thumbnail didn't come through. here it is again.

Attached Files

Jeff Hogan

Valencia College

Orlando, Florida 32811

2012 Aspen Prize Winner

#11 Mon

Mon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

Jeff,

I mentioned from the start of this thread that you cannot import into a 'category'. When I said you can use a single file instead of 9 in the reply, I meant this:
  • Activity1:Transfer with Mechanical Lift
  • Activity2:Enterostomy
  • Activity3:Injections
  • etc
Instead of using 4 import files to register students like "Jane Nurse" who's ID number is "123456789" into these 4 activites, you only need one import file:
  • 123456789,Transfer with Mechanical Lift
  • 123456789,Enterostomy
  • 123456789,Injections
  • etc..
Even better than the above: use the course CRN in the Activity ID field instead of using "AVS" as the ID for all. If you have a unique number per activity like the CRN, then your registration import file would be simply:
  • studentID,CRN
Which should be easy to get from your Course Mangement System.
Mon Nasser
AccuTrack Manager
mon@accutrack.org
(888)249-7227

#12 jhogan1

jhogan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

Mon, I think I am understanding perfectly what you are saying. But, it still takes multiple imports. Yes, I have one file. But, I have to do a single import for each activity.

My annoyance is having to do an import for every single activity. One file, 30 files - that's irrelevant. If I am having to import the same file 30 times -- it's still 30 imports.

I did just play with what you suggested in the bottom part and that did work. So at least for next term I can remember that I need to make the ID field unique and separate from the category and activity fields.

Jeff Hogan

Valencia College

Orlando, Florida 32811

2012 Aspen Prize Winner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users