7 replies to this topic

#1 Lealvarez1

Lealvarez1

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

One out of the 4 computers that I downloaded the update on actually updated. The others download the update but stay on the older version. (10.5.7) I am hoping it will remedy itself by morning. I will reply to this message first thing. At first glance in the one computer that actually updated to 10.5.8, I still see ghost materials check out. When you use the "Out" button while in Media Checkout, it shows the student has the book checked out. But when you type the ID in the Media Check-out window, it shows the book as available. We could ignore this except the students are still getting late media reminders.

As for the truncated Seminar descriptions and session logs, its fixed! Thank you!

Laura Alvarez
Software Consultant
Engineerica Systems, Inc.

#2 Lealvarez1

Lealvarez1

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:31 AM

May I manually update?? I am having no luck with the auto update.

Laura Alvarez
Software Consultant

#3 Mon

Mon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

Hello,

Here is how auto update works:

1) Upon each launch, the software checks a special folder on your shared drive for updates. This folder is appropriately called "UPDATES"
2) If an update is found, the software will copy the update files to its own folder and update itself.
3) Every few days, the software will check our FTP site for updates.
4) If found, the software will prompt you to download the update.
5) If you confirm, the software will download the update to a special folder on your shared drive ("UPDATES" folder mentioned above).

With the above design, updates are only downloaded once per site. For example, if you have 5 computers running the software, only one of these needs to download the update. Once downloaded, the update is placed in the shared drive for the rest of the installations to get it.

So if your computers share the same database, you did not need to download the update more than once. If you did, then there is something wrong with your installation. Specifically, you might have the wrong drive mapping and permissions. Note that per installation instructions, you need to install the shared database (AccuData) like this:

\\YourServer\YourSharedFolder\AccuFiles\AccuData
\\YourServer\YourSharedFolder\AccuFiles\DataDic

If you map your drives, or when you give permissions, AccuTrack/AccuSQL needs to have access to the \\YourServer\YourSharedFolder\AccuFiles folder, and it needs to be able to read and write to this folder. If this is set up correctly, the software will create other folders it needs like:

\\YourServer\YourSharedFolder\AccuFiles\UPDATES
\\YourServer\YourSharedFolder\AccuFiles\Backups
\\YourServer\YourSharedFolder\AccuFiles\UserReports
\\YourServer\YourSharedFolder\AccuFiles\Photos
etc

With this setup, each time the software is launched, it will get the path to its database folder (e.g. \\YourServer\YourSharedFolder\AccuFiles\AccuData) and based on that will check the ..\UPDATES folder for updates. If for some reason the software is unable to create the UPDATES folder where it needs it, the update would fail.

So my recommendation is that first check to see if your installation and permissions are set up as described above. You will need to make sure appropriate mapping and permissions are granted. Otherwise, other functions that depend on this will fail too.

Another reason why the update might fail is if the software is unable to over-write the old files. For example, Windows or your permissions settings might not allow the software to over-write files installed in your C:\Program Files folder. Also if some other user or process is using these files, then Windows will not allow the software to over-write them (because they are in use). So make sure that the AccuTrack/AccuSQL files are not being used and that the software has permissions to update them.

Another possibility is the use of some security software like DeepFreeze. This type of software will restore files to their original condition each time the computer is started. If you use such software, your old version will be restored! You will need to 'thaw' your computer, apply the update, and then freeze it again.

Finally, if the software does not have access to the Internet, or if its FTP access to our website is blocked (via firewall or other security program), then it would not be able to download the latest files, and no update will take place.

Also note that the auto update could be turned off via the Options screen in AccuTrack. If you want the update to occur, make sure the option is turned on.

As for manual update, you probably figured out already how to do it from the description of the design. All you need is to copy the contents of the UPDATES folder to your local installation (e.g. C:\Program Files\AccuSQL) and over-write the existing files. If one of your installations is unable to download the update files because FTP is blocked on it, you can copy the UPDATES folder from another installation.

Hope this helps.
Mon Nasser
AccuTrack Manager
mon@accutrack.org
(888)249-7227
http://www.accutrack.org

#4 Lealvarez1

Lealvarez1

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:45 AM

Thank you! I will check all of these steps and let you know.

Laura Alvarez
Software Consultant

#5 Lealvarez1

Lealvarez1

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:16 AM

The problem seems to be in the paths. All of the computers do point to a shared folder with proper admin and permissions however, that folder does not contain other needed folders like updates, etc. It only contains a folder for Pictures and a folder for User Reports. It sounds like a need a proper install which is outside the scope of this 10.5.8 update thread. So, do I put in a ticket? Post on another forum? THANK YOU!

Laura Alvarez
Software Consultant

#6 cbasoz

cbasoz

<AccuTrack Support>

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:22 AM

Issue was confirmed and fixed.

Yes you can manually update copying over from updates folder as Mon explained. In this version however you would also need to explicitly double click and install UtilsSetup.msi.

Already too many customers downloaded 10.5.8 I cannot stop downloads and add this up. It will be available as part of 10.5.9:( Probably in 10.5.9 also the need to explicitly install UtilsSetup.msi will be removed too. I am not sure yet, but if I can add it then it would worth to download again. Some of those who got the update have several hundred computers where this should prove very useful.
Cetin Basoz
Engineerica Senior Developer

#7 cbasoz

cbasoz

<AccuTrack Support>

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:27 AM

The problem seems to be in the paths. All of the computers do point to a shared folder with proper admin and permissions however, that folder does not contain other needed folders like updates, etc. It only contains a folder for Pictures and a folder for User Reports. It sounds like a need a proper install which is outside the scope of this 10.5.8 update thread. So, do I put in a ticket? Post on another forum? THANK YOU!

I may need to see this on site. Would you send an email to me at:
cetin at accutrack dot org

Probably cannot check today but would like to see on Monday then before releasing 10.5.9.
Cetin Basoz
Engineerica Senior Developer

#8 Lealvarez1

Lealvarez1

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

Thank you! I sent Cetin an email. Aside from the update, Accutrack is running nicely.

Laura Alvarez
Software Consultant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users