• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 AcademicSuccess

AcademicSuccess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:00 PM

I need to better understand how WebLink works.

We are planning to run it with AccuTrack 10 so that students can make appointments with our Writing Center tutors online.

However, we already have been running it for 1.5 years for walk-in tutoring (no appointments) and have not required students to create a password to log in.

With WebLink, will all students necessarily need a password to log in, whether they are using WebLink or physically in our office?
For example, if Joe Smith is already is our database(without a password), but he goes online to make an appointment, how can he do that?
He's not a "New User," nor has he forgotten his password (since he doesn't have one!).

Or is the solution to purge the database of all student users and start over so that everyone creates a password?

Please help!

--Keri

#2 Mon

Mon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:20 PM

Users need the password any time they use WebLink. This is necessary because the software could be accessed from anywhere by anyone via the web.

There is a default password that gets assigned to each user. You can also reset all passwords to the default password via the Setup -> System Access node.

Mon Nasser
AccuTrack Manager
mon@accutrack.org
(888)249-7227
http://www.accutrack.org

#3 AcademicSuccess

AcademicSuccess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

Mon,

How can we know what those default passwords are? I don't necessarily want to reset them all, unless they are just randomized. What can I tell students who are trying to log in for the first time? Will they need to use the password if they are logging in at our center (rather than on the web?).

--Keri

Users need the password any time they use WebLink.  This is necessary because the software could be accessed from anywhere by anyone via the web.  

There is a default password that gets assigned to each user.  You can also reset all passwords to the default password via the Setup -> System Access node.

#4 Mon

Mon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:25 PM

Well there are only two options available for the initial / default password: student's ID or student's last name. You can reset all passwords to one of these defaults via the System Administration -> Setup -> System Access screen. If you don't do that, I believe the default is the same as the ID number. You can test this by adding a new (fake) student and trying the sign in with the ID as both the ID and the password.

Mon Nasser
AccuTrack Manager
mon@accutrack.org
(888)249-7227
http://www.accutrack.org

#5 AcademicSuccess

AcademicSuccess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:58 PM

Thanks Mon!

Well there are only two options available for the initial / default password: student's ID or student's last name.  You can reset all passwords to one of these defaults via the System Administration -> Setup -> System Access screen.  If you don't do that, I believe the default is the same as the ID number.  You can test this by adding a new (fake) student and trying the sign in with the ID as both the ID and the password.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users